In her nice little book about how to become a great scrum master, Zuzana Šochová, sumarizes what a servant leader is.
Servant Leader Skills
Scrum Master is a leadership role. One of the aims of the Scrum Master is to make others work better, by focussing not only on one Scrum team but on the overall organisation.
It´s about “putting your team first, and yourself second”
Improve your Scrum Master Skills
These are the skills of a servant leader
- Listening to others
- Healing Releationsships
- Awareness and self-awareness
- Conceptualisation (keep the bigger picture in mind)
- Foresight (link lessons from the past with current state and future decisions)
- Stewardship (being open and serve others)
- Commitment to the growth of others
- Building a community
And one more trick: “stay only one step ahead at a time”